Sunday, April 08, 2007

I Am Back In One Piece!

Just returned from the most amazing experience travelling on a shoestring in Bangkok - well, at least minus the shopping and massages that I had, everything else was budget including:

1. The rickety 600THB (S$24) per day double bedded-airconditioned-cable televisioned-toileted room at A-ONE INN.
(In case my readers want to do something like that too, I am quite sure you can get a single room somewhere else for half the price. They don't have single room at A-ONE Inn.)


Me chilling out at the swing and having my Thai Coffee from my tetrapack.

The entrance/porch of the inn that conned me into staying with them. Looks not too bad eh?

2. My 40TBH (S$1.60) 2-way tuk tuk ride to-and-from "Lucky Temple" as recommended by the locals; and the tuk tuk driver.















He knew that he couldn't con me, so he simply pleaded with me to go to "THE Gem Shop" and "THE Tailor" so that he can earn some spare bahts. Since he asked nicely, I decided to help him. Hey! It's 70THB - that's 7 glasses of Thai Ice Milk Tea!


Why the picture blur blur one? Because it was helluva ride! And it does get you to places very fast!

Several failed attempts later, I still can't get my picture right... Too bumpy to take clear picture with one hand...

There is one main disadvantage of travelling alone, that is there is no one to help you take photographs. You try taking it alone with your arm outstretched to capture as much of the background as possible, but you still end up with your head covering half the photograph.
So, pardon me my readers, for my BIG FAT FACE.










3. My favourite meal - Thai-
style chicken with basil and chillies rice 25THB (S$1), and Thai Ice Milk Tea 10TBH (S$0.40). Extremely substantial and absolutely delicious meal. Much better than some Singapore foodcourts which charge 4 times the price and serve crap.


And the "wonderful" stall that I ordered and ate at....
I am pretty proud of myself that I did not lao sai. And believe me when I say I have bought food from stalls in much much worse conditions than this.

Nothing beats the interaction with the locals. Most are friendly and helpful. I tried to be as careful as I can and was lucky not to meet any crooks. Even the tuk tuk driver was friendly and teaching me Thai phrases.
Then also the Thai-Chinese accountant that I met at the temple. He works in a bank but earns on 22,000THB (S$880) per month... He was telling me about how his father died young and as a result didn't pick up much of Teochew... And how tourism is such a big thing that his friend earns 70,000 to 80,000THB by showing English-speaking tourists around... And how he is considering doing it since he can speak fluent English which is not all too common in Thailand.
Plenty of Thai Chinese everywhere I went. For once I am so glad I am a Teochew because it managed to get me some good deals that even the locals are not entitled to.
Lastly, the mai pen rai attitude of the Thais. Everything also never mind one... So cool...

Back in Singapore:
Shacked and tired at Changi Airport

For now, I am "scratching the itch that I got in Thailand" because I was bitten by a bug there - the travel bug that is.
I think I might want to take off to some other country for a month... I know it won't be easy, but I am sure I won't regret it.

Work holiday... any takers?