Wednesday, September 06, 2006

New Hobby: Inline Skating

Of all the hobbies that one at 25 can pick up, I choose to learn inline skating. The heart is keen but the bones are weak. Then again, the fleshier arse can cushion falls better.

Last Saturday, SO and I went (all the way) to Bishan Park and watched some skating lessons. We were convinced:
1. We don't need to spend that kind of money for lessons.
2. Kids these days... they skate very well... Suan Suan de gan jue....
3. Bishan Park is damn far and inconvenient.
4. East Coast Park is damner far and inconvenient.

Last evening was the third official time that I skated. It was also the second time that I skated at the jumbo court built on the open space facing my house. First time was at the void deck where there were... erm... more pillars to crash stop....

There were 3 groups of people playing soccer/basketball and 1 group of SGNs, yet SO and I still could take up half the court. Okok.. there were the occasional stray balls that roll into our space.

Now, what are SGNs you ask?

SGN = Siao Geen Nars = Crazy Kids

Why? They were blading bloody fast!!! Practically flying! And the jaw-dropping stunts. Boy, they don't only blade. They were dancing on skates. They brought their own cones laid out in intervals for them to perform their stunts. They could brake and stop within 3mm of you. They do not need to wear guards.
You get the drift... *Nod head*...Yeah... Those kind of young punks. (Yes, I am just being jealous of their skills.) In altruth, they are a bunch of inline skaters who are really committed to their game.

I put on my skates with trepidation fearing the fool that I will become once I try to lift my arse off the ground. But first thing first, I had to get that arse off the ground.
Not disappointingly, I start rolling uncontrollaby towards the drain the moment I am upright.

I was skating for at least 3hrs that evening. Surprisingly enjoyable though I was fumbling throughout. The thought that I am burning fats at the same time just adds on to the pleasure. This might just replace the workout void since I have stopped swimming.

Understandably, my calf and thigh muscles ached.
Surprisingly, my arms and shoulders ached too!
Reason: It takes a lot of strength to pick this 57kg lump of lard off the ground each time it falls. And let's just say, it happened more than once.

Report card: I still fall whenever I try to do heel brake at faster speed. But at least I managed to skate at a faster speed yah? But then again, people just look on with bewilderment when I suddenly fall when I blade in a straight line w/o obstacles.

Really, some things should be done when one is young. Can't take falls as well as before. The left butt cheek and left elbow are protesting already. Plus the 10 sore & manicured toes and 10 scratched-manicured fingers. What a waste of my money.. @$##%$^...

Hopefully I don't break an arm or leg soon. Still on probation at work.. Haha....

No comments: