Wednesday, February 21, 2007

PRS - Pre-retirement Syndrome

Join me in a spot of visulisation exercise.

Most of us are working our arse off, or simply hanging in that job which you absolutely hate just because you are working towards that day when you can retire. The earlier you hope to reture, the harder you are working.

Now, tell us what IS the kind of life that you have just seen? How would a usual day be post-retirement?
Is it touring around the world and visiting the places that you always wanted to? Snipping in and out of high-fashion boutique dressing yourself in the latest couture? Going to spa everyday? Getting your hair and nails done everyday? Playing with your kids? Helping the less fortunate at the homes? Or are you not able to see yourself stop working at all?

For me, on most days post-retirement, I can visualise a sunny day as I stroll towards the swimming pool near my place in the late morning. Ka-plash... into the water I go... lapping to and fro until I am out of breath. A rinse off before I rest my exhausted body on the beach chair. Unlike before, I won't need a towel to dry myself up because I can simply wait while I read my book and let the mid-day heat dry me up.
A slow trek to the nearby library where I will reutrn that books that I have just completed reading. Then I will pick out another 4 books that I want to read (Why 4? Bcos NLB mah.. FOC but only allows 4). One of it probably contains a set of recipes that I wish to learn today and try my hands at preparing tonight. Another day, I will borrow a book on flower arrangement and try my hands at creating a centrepiece for my dining table where I will dine with my loved ones that night.
Short of money? I will take up contract assignments to run events overseas. I will be away for one month max, not only will I be able to pick up some cash, I can satisfy the travel bug in me. The Thai and Vietnamese that I have picked up will come in handy because I can also go to those countries to do a spot of English teaching for some moolah.

Not forgetting the really initial concept of just living off an island. I can feed off the coconut trees and the fish that I gather from the sea - Survivor style!

Otherwise, I know I still have a few frens out there who are still interested in that beach bar selling sugar cane juice to the parched vballers at the beach at the most affordable price. Unlike the #$$%^%&^ S****sa management right now.

No large expenses. I think my post-returement is pretty attainable even without that multi-million savings account.. probably a few tens of thousands will do fine.. which shdn't be too far off already... retirement, here I come!

No comments: