Sunday, November 09, 2008

New Job Wanted

For once, I thought that my job is not too crappy.... Well, it is still crappy for the odd people (who are forever in a foul mood) that we need to deal with, but there is enough good things happening to make up for it.
Then this has to happen... Close source in the office has leaked info regarding the impending departure of our MD, and that SG office is likely to merge with MAL. Our warehouse will be sub-contracted to a third party. I am pretty sure someone is going to lose their job. (I am assuming and hoping none of my colleagues is reading this... :P)
Never have I expected the medical industry to be susceptible to the economic meltdown.
I have analysed the situation. My position in the company is not secure. I heard they are paid $-to-$ salary but in ringgit. Try to beat that, operating cost will be cut by half if they replace all the local personnel with their own.
Secondly, I am one of the 2 senior exec in the co. who are paid slightly higher than the rest of the execs. Therefore, best person to get rid of in order to cut cost.
Will they bother to retain me? Unlikely, because I have only 1 year's experience in the industyr and probably not as valuable as the really senior mngmts for industry info.
Now, even if they were to retain the existing staff, I would think twice about staying on after the merger. My last trip to the MAL office did not leave me with a good impression. The office environment seemed cold and unfriendly. The people working there did not seem happy. Furthermore, with any change of management, they will be eager to bring down cost and increase profit. Cost cutting all abounds and target will be high...
I hope there will be a good retrenchment package....
I am considering going into early retirement for the coming year....

2 comments:

shannz said...

Well, if you're interested in joining me, let me know. There's a referral program (I can get shopping vouchers for successful referrals!). hehe!

Anonymous said...

Warh! Thanks, Sista!
Maybe I am just thinking too much bah?
Kinda enjoy my job for now... Wait till they really sack me... Or hopefully someone headhunts me before then... Heee....
Otherwise, just depend on my ah-bang lo!