
Pasted on the wall are the menu and newspaper articles stating that Tom Yam has anti-colon cancer properties. One more reason for you to visit this stall.
Their signature dish, Tom Yam Soup, is occupying the table of almost all the tables there even though it was only 1130am, much too early for lunch.You can choose to have it with plain rice (aka white rice), pineapple rice (aka yellow rice), or thai bee hoon.
My order of Tom Yam Soup with Thai Bee Hoon:
Unfortunately, I forgot to take the photo before stirring it up. Was already quarter way through it when I remembered that I ought to take photo so that I can blog about it. The soup base is a milky orange colour, very unlike the usual clear red broth. For $3.30, you get 2 prawns, 1 fried fish cutlet, slices of boiled fish, toufu in your Tom Yam Bee Hoon.Piece of advice: Order Zhar-Yu Tom Yam next time you are there. I only realise that almost everyone else ordered that after I tasted mine. The reason, the Zhar-Yu (i.e. the fried fish) is marinated (with probably oyster sauce and pepper) and more flavourful then the plain boiled fish.
Verdict: Please see accompanying photo.

This dish, served in the traditional chicken bowl, not only retains heat but adds a taste of nostalgia and authenticity.
Side dish:
The main dish was quite small (for my appetite). Once again, I forgot to photograph before I tuck in. There was supposed to be 6 pieces and it costs $3.00. I only know about this dish much later after seeing others order. It was only when I tried to order it that I realise it is not Thai Fish Cake. If you go to their display case, it is still raw and whitish, not unlike Ngoh Hiang. Turns out, it is Ngoh Hiang, albeit larger than normal. Feeling inside consists of meat, water chestnut, corn, carrot, the rest I... erm... dunno. Crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside.Quote colleague: "This is the best I have tried. Very sweet."
Me: I have tried better ones. (Shall blog about it when I have the time.)
Northern Thai
(Coffeeshop beside Jalan Besar Shopping Centre)
Tyrwhitt Road
Closed on Sundays
10am-430pm
No comments:
Post a Comment